Symptoms of Heat Stress:
Generally, birds will be suffering heat stress when any of the following symptoms are evident:
- wings outstretched
- Slowness and lethargy
- Increased cannibalism, more carcasses downgrades.
- Light body weight
- Poor coloring
- Rough skin
- Egg production drop for no apparent reason.
- Reduced egg size
- poor shell quality
- In breeders, reduced fertility due to less mating, poorer semen quality, and female infertility.
- The increase in mortality.
- Muscles are dry and sticky to touch.
- Blood is thicker and darker than normal
- Legs are shriveled and dry
- Crop and gizzard are empty and dry
- Gizzard lining peels off easily.
When the body is heat stressed, the bird drinks more and eats less, for this reason, production reduced, immunity fall and there is a chance of disease outbreak.
The following measures by which we can reduce the heat stress in summer:
- House should be constructed in a free area.
- Put ceiling over and under the C.I. sheet for open houses.
- Plant trees surrounding of the shed for open houses.
- Increase floor space for birds in hot period.
- Increase feeder by 5% and drinker by 20-25%.
- Need stand by generator beside electricity.
- Increase air flow inside the shed by operating sufficient stand and ceiling fans in open houses.
- Need regular checking and cleaning of stand and ceilings in open houses.
- Always supply cool and pure water.
- Flush the water lines regularly.
- Increase water flow rate, nipple line-150 ml/min.
- Increase airspeed in the house.
- Add ice to the water tanks.
- Always keep litter in good condition, especially not wet.
- Add Vit-c, riboflavin, biotin, Vit-k, minerals and electrolyte in drinking water adequately. Some times can use aspirin.
- Water the birds in the dark period.
- In the middle of the sleeping (dark period) open the light for 1-2 hrs for the flock to drink.
- Distribute the feed in the cool hours.
- energy Increase (100 kcals) in the feed.
- Increase 10% methionine and lysine in the feed.
- Increase vitamins in feed by 15-20%.
- Supply adequate calcium and phosphorus in the feed.
- Reduce some feed per bird for less heat stress.
- Follow strict bio-security.
- Need regular check up of exhaust fans and cooling system in close houses.
- Construct fully controlled house with sufficient fans and cooling system.
- Done water vaccine routinely.
Even if the bird is not sick, these are serious matters for the farmer because he knows by experience that production falls in direct proportion to the bird’s temperature and discomfort. With no treatment and worsening conditions, the birds will die.
Facebook Group Joint Now
Facebook Page like this page.
Thanks for your Patience